Enforcement Complaints

Welcome to the Alberta Securities Commission Enforcement Complaints system, a place where you can easily and securely file a complaint. If you have serious concerns about how your investments or securities have been handled, a company you have invested in, or you believe a company or individual has breached securities law, you’ve come to the right place.

Getting your money back
The ASC does not have the powers to recover funds for the complainants. The ASC cannot force someone to give money back, undo a transaction, provide advice on an investment, provide legal advice, or negotiate a settlement on the complainant’s behalf.

Updates to our complaint process
The ASC is working to update this complaints page and form to make it easier for you to report concerns pertaining to securities law breaches.

Effective April 04, 2023 we have disabled the account creation and login feature. If you previously came to this page and created an account , please don’t be alarmed.

You can either complete the online complaint form or fill out a PDF version and send it to us at complaints@asc.ca. If you have previously submitted a complaint about the same matter, please reference your prior complaint in this submission.

Alternatively, you can call us at 403.355.3888, and one of our investigators will be happy to assist you.
Should you prefer to send us your concerns complaints via fax or mail, please send your fax to 403.297.2210, Attn: Assessment.
Our mailing address is: Alberta Securities Commission, Attn: Assessment, Suite 600, 250 5th Street SW, Calgary, AB, T2P 0R4.

If you feel you have a suitable complaint

Complete a complaint in order for us to accurately assess the situation.

File a Complaint
What does the ASC do when it receives a complaint?
If I file a complaint with the ASC, when can I expect to receive notification regarding the outcome?
How do I find out if there have been complaints or investigations about an individual or company?
Can I make an anonymous complaint?
How long do I have to make a complaint to the ASC?
How can I get my money back?
Not sure if the type of complaint you have is something that the ASC can help you with? Find out:

Whistleblower Program

We are committed to providing whistleblowers with an opportunity to provide information in a safe and secure environment. Visit the Office of the Whistleblower for more information and to submit a whistleblower tip.


Need Assistance?

Phone or email us to speak to a representative at 403.355.3888 or complaints@asc.ca.